Friday, July 30, 2010

Relationships

Over the past month of so I have had various friends ask for my advice on relationships. While I am no guru on relationships and trust me I do not claim to be! I do not mind putting my two cents in, as some of you may know I like to talk or ramble as you can tell for my writing style. But on to the point I am trying to make. Many of these friends ask me how do you know a relationship is working or heading in the right direction.

Well of course there is no guarantee that a relationship is heading in the right direction. There are in my mind 4 questions that will give you an idea if there is good base to build a relationship where you can feel a connection with your significant other.
1. Do I respect and admire this person?
2. Do I trust this person?
3. Do I feel safe with this person?
4. Do I feel at calm and peace with this person?

Now you might think these are pretty general and won't give much of an answer but if you can answer these with a yes then the relationship is worth exploring a little bit further because it is on the base of these questions that you can build. Not all things in a relationship are felt immediately so times think time to build and grow depending on the circumstances. Being honest and open with is the key, really share anything and everything. I am not sure I can stress that enough that you need to talk and share the hard stuff, the stupid stuff, and the silly stuff it is in those things that you can figure someone out.

You might ask where I get these pearls of wisdom? From my family of course! My mother and I had lengthy discussions on relationships in general and her relationship with my dad. Also since my father is now single he and I will chat on the subject about what makes a relationship and how to grow one. Of course I do not always listen and insist on just doing as I please but the older I get the more I know there was a truth to what they were/are telling me and its time I shut up and admit that I do not know best! Which is hard for me, I can admit that I am wrong but it comes with a lot of teeth gritting. However, my inability to want to listen to others is a whole other blog post and topic one that I am not sure I will ever get to!

Have a great weekend!
Megs

No comments: