Monday, August 16, 2010

Rest in Peace

I got word last night that one of my mentors passed away Mr. Hay. Mr. Hay coached me when I was younger at the West Chester YMCA and then again at Upper Villa with his wife when we got a swim coach there. Mr. Hay was an amazing coach both techincally in helping me with my stroke but also motivationally. I will never forget what he said to us one day that you should never say you owe everything to your coach that they are just one person who has helped you to were you are, but really you should thank yourself because it is yourself that has gotten yourself to where you are. Mr Hay was an exceptional athelete but even more than that he was an exceptional person. I am saddened by the loss of someone who had such a positive impact on my career as a swimmer and also who helped shape everyone who he coached as a person as well. The lesssons that we learned from him on and off the field or in and out of the pool were also lessons that we have appiled in our lives as adults. It is only fitting that he is going to be honored by being inducted into the Chester County Sports Hall of Fame.

He was a great man and will go on to live forever in the hearts of his family, who I have had to pleasure to know and swim with but also in the hearts of the lives of each person who knew him.

A Toast to you Mr. Hay, hopefully you are having a drink with my mom up in heaven!!

An article about Mr. Hay: www.dailylocal.com/articles/2010/08/16/sports/srv0000009111647.txt

Till next time!
Meg

No comments: